Thursday, February 7, 2013

DIY Valentine: Initial Tee

Yes, I know the whole bleached writing tee is not an innovative DIY.... it did a little stint all over blogs/ pinterest / etc. a few months back. But I thought I would put my own spin on it-- making a tee to wear in honor of your lover for Valentine's Day.  At first I thought I'd write my husband's name (Andrew) or even "I LOVE ANDREW" but decided on something a little more subtle-- his initials.  I sketched a couple options for how I wanted the text to look and once I decided on one, I applied bleach with a paint brush-- then did a little spray effect (I intentionally splashed bleach) around the text and on the collar of the shirt.  I love how it turned out!


Here are the 5 easy steps...


1.  Sketch your ideas.  Then put a piece of cardboard in your shirt (not only to keep the bleach from getting on the back, but it also makes it an easier surface to write on).  Clip the sides to hold it in place.  Get your bleach in a little bowl for easy access.

2.  Draw your design with chalk (it helps to dip the chalk in water first so it will show up more!).

3.  Dip your paint brush in bleach and go over your chalk lines. (Add some extra splashes/spatters if you like!).

4.  Let it set a minute till you see the bleach start to take effect (my shirt was pretty soft/thin, so it started changing color right away).
5.  Once the design is lightened to your liking, rinse with cold water.  Then put in the wash/dryer as usual.

When I put on my tee, Andrew was like "Hey! That's my name!"...I think he thought it was pretty cute. : )  Then I asked him to pose for these awkward photos with me.  He obliged, because he is awesome.


So there you have it!  I think this is a really sweet way to commemorate your Valentine.  A great alternative if you're too much of a wimp to get a tattoo! ; )

xo
Jayme




1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...