Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Outfit Post: Two Blissful Years

Saturday was not only Derby Day and Cinco de Mayo: it was also Q's and my two year wedding anniversary. I have been slowly purging and modifying my wardrobe (and hair, as you'll notice!) for summer. I felt ready for a change and a more cohesive closet. While I thought I was more of a Bohemian babe, it's really the feminine styles of the 40s and 50s that I adore and are most flattering...I am finding lots of modern inspiration (50s styles are very on trend right now!) and adding a little tough flair every now and again--like my leather biker vest. I feeling more and more like myself and also more excited about getting dressed for the day--which is a huge victory!

I got this 1950s dress in the mail just in time for our date night and stumbled upon these perfect black suede peep toes (90s does 40s) at the thrift and in my size. I added a belt for shape (the dress is a little big at the top, so I may have it taken in a little at some point, but better than too small!) and a vintage crinoline underneath.

For our date, due to the rain and humidity, my hair ended up in a cute curly ponytail, but it was okay because it showed off those gorgeous cutout details! I needed to get some closer pictures...there is a little black bow with a rhinestone button at each cutout as well.

Outfit details: 1950s dress-Salvage House, belt-old, peeptoe slingback heels- thrifted

Q's mom came over to watch Aurora at around 4--we went to tour the DC Design House first (because my bff Katie and her bff Chris are kind of a big deal), then to a dinner of delicious mediterranean tapas, then to Barnes and Noble to browse, and finally, to see a friend's show at Iota in Arlington (and were lucky to catch two other awesome bands he was playing with).  It was like we went on 4 dates in one night!  And I did it all in a brand new-to-me pair of heels! (Ouch.)

My little 50s-inspired collection is growing and I can't wait to share more outfit posts on the blog--I feel like Stella--you know, the one who got her groove back? (Not the one who Marlon Brando manhandled in A Streetcar Named Desire, though I admittedly wouldn't mind that either.) 

xo,
Amanda 

2 comments:

  1. Awww you look so great! Congrats on your anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, sweet friend! It was fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...