Monday, December 5, 2011

Vintage Inspired Holiday Makeup


 

Thanks to L'Oreal for sponsoring my post about my favorite beauty looks, tips and tricks! Check out Makeup.com for beauty advice from the experts.


I am definitely a makeup-everyday type of girl.  I don’t leave home without first putting on under-eye concealer, blush, and mascara.  Nothing crazy.  But on special occasions I jump at the chance to do a full-face of makeup.   My go-to extras are [light] bronzer, eyeliner and a tinted lip gloss.  For the holidays (ie. My husband's annual work Christmas party), I wanted to try something a little different.  The obvious solution was a bright red lip (festive and very vintage/50s housewife/pin up girl).  But I’ve done it before.  So I decided to focus less on lips and more on eyes.  What I had in mind was a 60s, Twiggy-inspired look:  heavy upper lid (only) liner and lots of mascara on both upper and lower lashes.
Funny, because I thought this was so bold—but once photographed, it looks so subtle!  I stuck with a nude eye shadow with just a liiiitle sparkle, to define the liner, which I like…but next time I need to go a LOT thicker on the liner.
I feel like I picture Twiggy with a very matte face, no color.  But blush is something that is very close to my heart.  It was the first makeup I used and I love the little punch of brightness it adds to my face.  I NEVER skip blush.  Sometimes I go a bit overboard with it, I must admit.  But if a little blush looks pretty, a lot of blush must be even prettier….right??


A pretty, glossy lip finishes off the look.  I tried this look with a pale lip gloss, but I just wasn’t digging the nude-ish lip (my lips aren’t all that full, so it almost makes them disappear on my face).  So instead, I went with a rosy gloss.

I don’t paint my nails very often these days.  Taking care of an almost-one year old makes it hard to find the time (I can usually get them painted, but I end up smudging them because I don’t have time to let them dry).  So while I would love to have a classic red nail for the holidays, I chose to instead go with nude nails.  Not only is it pretty—but also much easier to hide imperfections!

I actually really like my whole nude eyes/nails against the black dress and jewelry.  It’s so easy to fall into the red-everything for the holidays…I dare you to try something different!  Subtlety is sometimes a lovely thing.

xo
Jayme

I was selected for this sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective. Click here to learn more about Makeup.com or become a Facebook fan by clicking here.


1 comment:

  1. @vale
    Thanks love! I will be sure to check out your blog! xo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...